Carlton is ready for Daze
July 23, 2021
Once again, Carlton will pause traffic through the heart of the city and take the weekend to celebrate small-town togetherness in many different ways. The car show 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday and the parade at 1 p.m. Sunday are two of the biggest and most visible events of annual Carlton Daze celebration, but organizers make sure there’s something for everyone during the three-day bonanza. Whether it’s competing fiercely in horseshoes or bean bags, playing kids’ games, eating, listening to music, shopping, playing poker or golf, going to a bubble dance, searching for buried treasure, eating some more or just visiting with friends and family, there is fun to be had.
Sports also runs through and around the Carlton Daze festivities. The kids’ races and the Carlton Daze 5K race kick off the weekend Friday at 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. at the Four Seasons Event Center in the heart of Carlton.
The Minnesota Voyageur Trail Ultramarathon, a 50-mile footrace founded in 1982, starts and ends in Carlton on Saturday.
The race follows a rugged, varied, out-and-back course that takes runners on a journey from Carlton through Jay Cooke State Park, then heads northeast over difficult, rough woodland trails to Duluth and back. Race start time is 6 a.m., and there is no race-day registration this year.
The Carlton Daze volleyball and softball tournaments run throughout the weekend, exactly how long depends on the number of teams, organizers said. Although registration was due Thursday, spectators are welcome at these ongoing events over the weekend. Volleyball games will be played at the Third Base Bar and McFarland Park. Softball games are played in the field at the Four Seasons and South Terrace elementary school.
The usual Paddlemania river races have been postponed until Saturday, Aug. 14, due to low water levels. Check http://www.paddle-mania.com for updates.
Schedule of events
Following are some of the highlights of the Carlton Daze schedule. Check last week’s Pine Knot News or visit carltonchamber.com online for a more-detailed schedule.
Friday, July 23
• 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., community garage sales, book sale at the Carlton Public Library
• 5 p.m., kids’ fun races at the Four Seasons Events Center
• 6 p.m., Carlton Daze 5K run/walk starts at Four Seasons
• 6 p.m., Carlton VFW meat raffle
• 9 p.m. to 1 a.m., Runaway will perform at the Third Base Bar, and Stranded plays at the Carlton VFW
Saturday, July 24
• 9-11 a.m., pie baking contest at the Carlton Wellness Center community room, followed by a pie social
• 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., car show on Chestnut Street
• 12 p.m., bingo, horseshoes and poker tournaments kick off at the Carlton VFW
• 3 p.m., bean bag tournament begins on Chestnut Street
• 9 p.m. to 1 a.m., Aftershock plays at the Third Base Bar, and the Zakk Grandahl Band performs at the Carlton VFW
Sunday, July 25
• 1 p.m., Carlton Daze parade; lineup begins at 12 p.m. at Carlton High School
• 2 p.m., kids’ activities, hot dogs and root beer floats at the Carlton fire hall
• 2 p.m., bubble dance party and kids’ coin hunt at the DNR Park
• 2-6 p.m., Friends of Mine plays at the Third Base Bar
• 4-8 p.m., DJ and karaoke at the Carlton VFW