A hometown newspaper with a local office, local owners & lots of local news

Flood warning issued for St. Louis River at Scanlon

The National Weather Service in Duluth has issued a flood warning for the St. Louis River at Scanon until 1 p.m. Wednesday. Moderate flooding is forecast.

At 10.5 feet, minor flooding occurs near Scanlon.

At 1:30 PM CDT Friday the stage was 10.1 feet.

According to the NWS, the river is expected to rise above flood stage late Friday evening to a crest of 11.4 feet Sunday morning. It will then fall below flood stage early Wednesday morning. This crest compares to a previous crest of 11.2 feet on 04/08/1997.

Find more flood information at http://www.weather.gov/safety/flood.

Road closures due to flooding

Carlton County

County Rd 132, between County Rd 156 & Keinanen Rd in Silver Township, is closed due to flooding and will be closed through the weekend.

The East end of Konsti Rd & 156 in Kalevala Township is also closed due to flooding through the weekend.

St. Louis County

Heavy rain and already high water levels in area creeks and rivers has led to several road closures. St. Louis County Public Works has temporarily closed the following roads until water levels diminish and any damage can be assessed and repaired.

County Road (CR) 860, also known as McAurther Rd, is closed between CR 734/Shipley Road and CR 725/Birch Road in New Independence Township.

County State Aid Highway (CSAH) 49, also known as Three Lakes Road, is closed between CSAH 15/Munger Shaw Road and CSAH 4/Vermilion Trail in Unorganized Township 53-16.

CR 353, also known as Brimson Toimi Road, is closed between Highway 16 and Little Creek Road in Fairbanks Township.

County Road 165, also known as Swan Lake Road, has restricted access east of CR 170/McGonagle Road in Ness Township. There is water on the road, but residents will be able to use the road to get to their home.

SLC Public Works crews continue to monitor the conditions of the county's 3,000 miles of roads. Anyone who sees a flooded road or unsafe conditions can report it by calling 911.

Rendered 07/16/2024 11:24