Test your sports acumen
December 4, 2020
Gauge your sports knowledge with Pine Knot News writer Steve Korby’s quiz.
1) Minnesota Wilderness hockey roster players with ties to Cloquet/Esko include: a) Christian Galatz b) Dominkis Marcinkevics c) Gavin Rasmussen d) Dane Stoyanoff
2) the winner of the November 2020 Masters golf tournament was: a) Dustin Johnson b) Jason Day c) Bryson DeChambeau d) Rory McElroy
3) the champion at the 2020 and 89th Cloquet Invitational golf tournament was: a) Jamie Langenbrunner b) Brent Smith c) Alex Kolquist d) Tom Marciniak e) Travis Blais
4) the winner of the August 2020 and 65th annual Moose Lake Shortstop golf tourney was : a) Derek Benson b) Dustin Hejny c) Matthew Wolff d) Gary Ross
5) the two teams in the NBA finals were: a) Boston Celtics and Denver Nuggets b) Los Angeles Lakers and Miami Heat c) San Antonio Spurs and New York Knicks d) Boston Celtics and Los Angeles Lakers
6) the two teams in the WNBA finals were: a) Phoenix Mercury and New York Liberty b) Atlanta Dream and Minnesota Lynx c) Indiana Fever and Chicago Sky d) Seattle Storm and Las Vegas Aces
7) the current Cloquet High School senior who set the individual 18-hole course record at Cloquet Country Club this past summer with a score of 62 was: a) Tiger Woods b) Jimmy Stafford c) Sam Baker d) Ross Nelson
8) only three golfers have won the NCAA individual title, the U.S. Amateur, and the U.S. Open … can you name them?
9) in the shortened 60-game 2020 MLB season, the Minnesota Twins won the American League Central Division (back-to-back champions) with how many wins? a) 40 b) 37 c) 38 d) 36
10) in the 2020 MLB American League baseball season, the individual home run and batting average leaders were on the same team … the New York Yankees. Can you name the two players? a) Lou Gehrig and Babe Ruth b) Roger Maris and Mickey Mantle c) Aaron Judge and Brett Gardner d) Luke Voit and DJ LeMahieu
Scroll down for answers below:
Answers. 1-a, c and d; 2-a; 3-c; 4-b; 5-b; 6-d; 7-c; 8-Nicklaus, Woods, and DeChambeau; 9-d 10-d