A hometown newspaper with a local office, local owners & lots of local news

Still need to file taxes? Tips to ease the process

With about two weeks left before the April 18 deadline, more than 1.8 million Minnesotans have already filed their income tax returns with nearly 1 million already getting their refunds.

“The weeks leading up to the deadline are often the busiest of the tax season,” said Revenue Commissioner Paul Marquart. “We anticipate hundreds of thousands of Minnesotans will file between now and the April 18 deadline. For those that haven’t filed yet, the Minnesota Department of Revenue offers these tips.”

Need tax filing assistance?

Free tax preparation services are available for those who qualify. Free tax preparation sites are available across Minnesota through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and AARP Tax-Aide programs. Act quickly as many sites book up as the filing deadline approaches. You can visit our website to find free tax preparation sites near you.

Choose a tax preparer carefully. If you’re using a professional tax preparer to do your taxes, take the time to ask about their training, their history preparing taxes, and their affiliations with various tax professional organizations. Learn more about choosing a preparer on our website.

Ready to file?

E-file and choose direct deposit. Electronically filing your return and choosing direct deposit for your refund is the most secure and convenient way to file your taxes and get your refund. If your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) is $73,000 or less, you may qualify to file electronically for free. Use the links on our website to see if you qualify for free state and federal income tax filing.

Check your return for accuracy. Enter your name, and the names of any dependents, exactly as they appear on Social Security cards, Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) cards or letters. Double-check bank routing and account numbers used on tax forms for direct deposit. Incorrect information on tax forms can result in refund delays.

Did you receive Frontline Worker Pay in 2022? While this payment is not taxable on your Minnesota return, it IS taxable on your federal return. Information on how to account for it on your federal return can be found on the Frontline Worker page on our website.

File your return by the April 18 due date, even if you owe more than you can pay. Pay as much as you can by the due date and contact us as soon as possible to set up a payment agreement for the remaining balance. You can include your banking information on your electronically filed return to make the payment or pay electronically with our e-Services Payment System. You can specify when the payment will be taken from your checking or savings account in advance or on the due date.

Need more time to file?

You automatically have until October 16 to file before we charge a late filing penalty. You do not have to submit a separate form requesting extra time to file your Minnesota individual income tax return. This is for filing only. To avoid other penalties and interest, you must pay any tax owed by the April 18 due date and file your return by October 16.

Note: You can request a filing extension for your federal income taxes on the Internal Revenue Service website.

What should you do after filing?

Track Your Refund. We process most returns within 21 days of the return being accepted. However, some returns may take longer to review. You can track your refund and find out whether you need to take any action to allow us to complete processing your refund by using our Where’s My Refund?

Beware of scammers. Tax time is a busy time for scammers and criminals. They’ll use phone calls, text messages, and emails often purporting to be the IRS or Department of Revenue asking for personal and financial information. Use caution and never provide personal information unless you are absolutely sure the situation is legitimate. Contact us if you are concerned about potentially fraudulent contact.

If you move after filing your return, contact us right away. That way anything sent to you will reach you, such as refund checks or requests for more information. You must do this even when requesting a direct deposit. Call us at 651-296-3781 or 1-800-652-9094 (toll-free) to change your address.