Voting basics: who is eligible to vote
September 18, 2020
To be eligible to vote in Minnesota you must:
• Be at least 18 years old on Election Day
• Be a citizen of the United States
• Have resided in Minnesota for 20 days immediately preceding Election Day
• Have any felony conviction record discharged, expired or completed
• Not be under court-ordered guardianship where a court has revoked your voting rights
• Not have been ruled legally incompetent by a court of law
You do not have to be registered to vote to apply for an absentee ballot, but it makes the process easier. Check your registration status online at https://mnvotes.sos.state.mn.us/VoterStatus.aspx. If you need to register or update your voter registration, you may want to do that online before applying for an absentee ballot.
Those who prefer not to register online can call the county auditor’s office at 218-384-9127 or stop by the courthouse during regular business hours. In Minnesota, voters can also register at the polls on Election Day.